Whether you or someone you love is abusing alcohol, opiates, cocaine, marijuana or another substance that causing harmful effects, the team at Uptown Psych can help. Located in the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, the practice’s mental health professionals are experienced in treating all types of substance abuse with a wide range of modalities. Make an appointment to schedule a substance abuse consultation either by calling or using the online booking tool.
Substance Abuse Q & A
What are signs of dangerous substance abuse?
Substance abuse can be a risky proposition and have devastating, wide-reaching impact on whoever is abusing substances and those around you like partners and family. It is important to be alert and look out for signs of people close to you abusing substances like alcohol and illegal drugs, or prescription drugs like opioids.
Here are some things to look out for with respect to alcohol abuse:
- Women should not have more 3 drinks on any given day or over 7 drinks in a week
- Men should not have more than 4 drinks on any given day or 14 drinks in a week
- Some people should not be consuming any alcohol, including:
- People under 21
- Women who are pregnant
- People with prescription medication that should not be combined with alcohol
- People with specific medication conditions (liver disease)
- People who plan to drive (alcohol impairs judgement)
- People recovering from alcohol abuse
When it comes to prescription drugs, look out for people misusing or overusing them. If you notice people around you using illegal drugs, that certainly is a sign of substance abuse.
How do you prevent substance abuse?
Taking preventive measures against any medical condition is always a good idea. For some mental health issues, the causes are out of your control. With substance abuse, there are definitely things you can do to create a safe environment for yourself and others that limits the likelihood of developing substance abuse issues.
Here are some tips:
- Understand how substance abuse develops:
- Using illegal drugs
- Abusing prescription drugs
- Getting drunk too often
- Avoid temptations like peer pressure:
- Develop and maintain healthy relationships
- Get the help you need for underlying mental health conditions like:
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Take a hard look at risk factors like:
- Family history
- Environmental factors
- Develop stress management skills
Make sure you try to promote these tips to people around you. Preventing addiction in those around you is another preventive measure you can take to make your life safer, happier, and healthier in the long run.
How do you treat substance abuse?
At Uptown Psych, our staff treats substance abuse with a combination of pharmacotherapy like Suboxone®, which Dr. Sehdev administers, and Vivitrol®. They are substances that help treat your substance abuse issues gradually without producing dangerous withdrawals. The practice’s mental health professionals also provide talk therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, counseling, monitoring, and support groups to help you on your journey through recovery.